Friday, July 23, 2010

Obsession

This week really made me realize how consuming Crossfit is for people.  Obsession is a better word.  Between spending a few days with my location challenged family, dinner with friends, and a "happy hour" where almost all of my conversations constantly turned back to Crossfit.... I realized it even more.

Now to my credit, I wasn't driving the conversation in some cases.  People are curious about my progress and want to know "how".  Unfortunately, I tell them a LOT about how.  Using words that make no sense, naming WODs, exercises and eating habits all in a rapid fire cadence.  I get in the zone when talking about it and sometime forget to come up for air.  The happy hour gave me a chance to observe obsession firsthand.  I was me, 3 other CFers and a few other "regular people".  See.  WTF was that?  "Regular people".  In quotes no less.  

Anyway.  The happy hour was for a "regular person's" birthday.  But what dominated the conversation?  Time on WODs, Wall ball techniques, trainer methods, clean max... and of course, sweating.  The other people were polite and probably even entertained... for a while.  We kept turning the conversation back to "normal" things.. but some force or unseen hand eventually pushed us right back to CF.  We have our own language and we love to use it.

I have done many activities in my life (basketball, kayaking, tennis, backpacking, etc.)  NONE of those EVER created the level of desire to discuss quite like CF.  I can talk to a basketball team member for an hour about things without BB coming up.  A CFer can last about 5 mins. 

So I asked myself.............  WHY?

Top Ten Reasons:
1.  We are crazy and we like talking to other crazy people.
2.  When you go through hell, it's easier to relate to other people with burn marks.
3.  The amazement of actually completing some WODs must be shared... often. 
4.  Only a badass can talk to another badass.
5.  The water bottles are spiked with "CF Kool-Aid".  That's why they only cost a dollar.
6.  When you pass out in one of your first WODs, they take you away for a good brainwashing.
7.  Glassman is really Marshall Applewhite... and we all will be leaving earth soon.
8.  Sadism and obsession go well together.
9.  We really like writing stuff on whiteboards.

and #10:

I think its because we've "Become addicted to constant and never-ending self-improvement." (Anthony J. D'Angelo)

So stay obsessed and let's talk sometime....

2 comments: