Saturday, July 31, 2010

Progress Update, What Have I Lost, What Have I Gained?

I think this is post #30.  My mother said I had a lot to say, I guess she was right.  This is a simple progress report:
Weight
Then:   300,   Now:   243;  Net:  57 lost
Waist Size:
Then:   42+ (I cheated and bought those stretchy waist pants so I could get fatter and still be a "42")
Now:  38- (looser everyday)
Blood Pressure:
Then:  135/80 (considered pre-hypertension)
Now:  115/60 - normal
Body Fat:
Then:  30%,   Now:  18%
Then: almost 100 lbs,  Now:  45 lbs
Time to Run a Mile:
Then:  What does "run a mile" mean?, 12 - 14 mins mostly walking
Now:  8:27
Unassisted Pullups in a row:
Then:  0,  Now:  7

What have I given up?
- Drinking whenever I want.  For a while I was a teetotaler.  Now I will allow a few drinks a month, the timing is chosen deliberately (evening of day 3).  Yummy but destructive :(
- Caffeine - many have you heard me complain this was the toughest change.  However, I'm happy to wake up and be full speed in just a few mins.
- Eating purely for pleasure.  I still eat for pleasure, but not as often and on my terms.  Do I miss pizza, wings, burgers.   A little.  But not a lot.  What I really miss is a balanced energy level when I do cheat on a meal.  I hate feeling like someone glued me to the ground.  I can't imagine ever eating without considering it a fueling again LOL.
- A crappy attitude about life. Enough said.

What Have I Gained?
- A new appreciation for the human body.  Weight loss and fitness is not a physical journey.  It is a mental one.  At 40, I'm in better shape than I was at 20.  The human body will respond to the stimulants you provide.  Provide good stimulants...
- A challenge to improve my mental fortitude.  I've learned more about the power of the mind in the past 6 months than I did in 4 years pursuing an Electrical Engineering degree.   I've learned to create my own second wind.  I've learned that I make a WOD miserable or fun before I even start.  I've learned I am not great at the mental aspect.  Pull ups and DUs are seriously in my head.  The mental game is my next challenge to conquer.
- Tons of like minded (i.e. bat shit crazy) friends.  The box is a place to come, enjoy, work, and make connections.

2 comments:

  1. You've also gained more time with your wife and kids ... since you'll be living longer! Nice bonus. You should write a book. I will buy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really inspiring when you quantify it like that! Great food for thought and planning my own changes.

    ReplyDelete