Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Alcohol

I haven't sent my mom a link to this blog yet, so I guess I can be honest :D

I had my first drink when I was about 8 or 9.  I jumped out of the community pool, ran over as my dad brought our food back from the snack bar.  He set down a Solo cup with what looked like a vanilla milkshake.   I grabbed it and took a huge swig.  Turns out foamy beer and milkshakes look a lot alike in a Solo cup!  After I spit it all over my sunbathing mother, my dad started laughing his ass off.... that was my first drink!

I like to drink.  I enjoy the taste, I enjoy the process of fixing a drink.  I like what a few strong cocktails does to my psyche.  As my friend Wellman says "drinking makes me smarter...  funnier ... and better looking."  I like tequila, rum, vodka, beer, wine, whiskey and scotch.  Anyone hanging around me over the last few years knows I can put it away.  REALLY PUT IT AWAY.

I'm glad the Hornbakers haven't seen this blog, or I might get comments about my shenanigans during our late night parties.  He might post about us urinating in my front yard, or my "fashion show" on I-540, or dropping a bowling ball (representing my "ball and chain") during a WAC beer tasting event.

Anyway, alcohol has been a pretty constant part of my life over the past 20 years.  It's never been a problem nor was it becoming one.  But it was ingrained in my habits.  So that makes it even crazier that, two weeks and half weeks ago, I stopped drinking cold turkey.  Why?

Just to prove to myself I could.


P.S. It is a common belief that one or two drinks per night is actually good for your health.  This is true relative to heart disease.  The first 2 drinks actually lower the risk.  Unfortunately, the risk of cancer goes up linearly with each and every drink from first to last.  Check the book I posted about earlier...

P.S.S. I haven't set a time frame, but my guess is that I will introduce drinking back into my life once I hit my target weight, but I don't know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment