Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Do You Have What It Takes?

I've always thought I had what it takes.   My confidence comes from a healthy tension during my childhood.  My parents never coddled me, nor allowed me to use anything for an excuse.  This led me to a life where I tried almost anything.  Despite my arm, I tried everything.  I was pretty damn good at a lot of things, but never truly great at anything.  I figured out how to play basketball, football, even baseball (think of the MLB pitcher, Jim Abbott).

Later I learned tennis, soccer, racquetball, and even weightlifting and kayaking.  People would stare!  I loved the surprise on their face when I would start lifting 80lb dumbbells off the rack.  No excuses...

 At 36, my excuse list was long.  I was tired.  My back hurt if I tried to run.  My knees hurt when I tried to workout my legs.  Blah Blah Blah.  I wanted to lose weight and get back to my old self.  I would get pissed every morning I weighed.  Then I would go eat a semi-healthy breakfast, crappy lunch and so-so dinner.  I became the KING of rationalizing why today was a bad day to workout.

At 39, I committed myself to being "the most fit ever, by 40".  At 40, I weighed more than I did at 39 :(

WTF??

Commitment.

Desire.

Drive.

Nope.

Then it happened.  And things were never the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment