Monday, March 22, 2010

Nerds - Know Thyself

I am a nerd.  For those that know me, you know this is not a revelation. Funny thing is, I'm not a very good one.  I'm an Electrical Engineer from Georgia Tech, but I've never worked as an engineer.  I like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and The Matrix, but can't ruminate over the intricate details of any of them.  I love gadgets, but only in the context of making my life easier or more enjoyable.  I never buy anything that doesn't have a use.  I'm a nerd, but a "casual" one :D

You may wonder "what is the difference between a geek, nerd and dork"?
Geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things.

Dork is slang for a quirky, silly and/or stupid, socially inept person, or one who is out of touch with contemporary trends. Often confused with nerd and geek, but does not imply the same intelligence level.  It's also the official name for a Whale Penis, but I'm trying to keep this clean! :D  I have no idea why I just italicized that - LOL!

Nerd refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests. Therefore, a nerd will tend to associate with like-minded people.

There are other typical traits of a nerd:
  • They tend to speak a different language when discussing their passion.
  • All their jokes are "inside".
  • They love to discuss/debate the minutia of their passion.
  • They congregate regularly to enjoy their interest with like-minded people.
Given this, I would submit that most of you reading this are nerds.  My colleagues at work think Supply Chain humor is funny (I guess it can be).  Sales people think their "inside" sales jokes are hilarious (they usually aren't).  Supply Chain nerds.  Sales nerds.  You all fit the bill.

I am now associated with a new set of nerds.  Fitness Nerds.  The traits of a nerds are so typical of a Crossfit session!
  • Our language: AMRP, Tabatas, Burpees, GHDs, kipping, Rx.
  • "Did you see me almost miss that box jump?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHA!"  "I'm so sore. I can't lift my arm!  HAHAHAHA...."
  • Minutia: Who knew Kipping was such a complex thing!!!  We discussed the finer points of "cleans" today for a while.  We needed to because you can wreck yourself quickly doing them wrong.  But its still amusing and very similar to what Dungeons and Dragons players probably do about whatever they hell they talk about.
  • Congregate:  Yep.... 3 out of every 4 days, we congregate.
We talk and laugh about things no one else finds funny!  Yep, we are Fitness Nerds.



3 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna argue with you on this one, Bryon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you're a nerd about multiple activities? Does that make you an uber-nerd or a nerd with multiple personalities?

    ReplyDelete