Sunday, March 14, 2010

No Excuses

I've debated on posting this one for a while.  I wrote a lot of it in a pretty emotional state and it was harsh... mostly on myself, but people in a similar situation might think it was directed at them.  So I trashed it, kept the subject and am rewriting it now.

For obvious reasons, I've lived in a world that required me to figure out many things for myself.  From simple things like wearing a pair of gloves, to more complex things like perfecting a crossover dribble, I've had to figure it out without a lot of advice.  Because of this: "I rarely make excuses."  For people that work with me, I hope the statement rings true!  I am known as a frank person (hopefully this also means honest) and its true.  Deep down, I probably have some fear that if I ever make the first excuse, it becomes addictive.  (Fear of addiction is also why I've never used a single drug in my life LOL -- I'm one of the last true drug virgins.)

Anyway, there was a notable exception to my "no excuses" personality.  Exercise and weight.  DAMN I was good at excuses!  I won't list them because we all know them.  But this isn't about when I used excuses, it is about when I stopped.  I said in a an earlier blog that others don't motivate me, that's true.  BUT, I do get a little emotional when I see others accomplish great things, but oddly, not when I do it.  I expect it from myself so it was odd that I was so excuse-ridden.

Everyone is a bit vain.  I'm no exception to that rule.  But it is hard to be vain when you don't look as well as you have in year's past.  I am a true believer in the "beauty is on the inside" cliche but I also want to look good.  Who doesn't?  If you raised your hand, you are lying to yourself .... LOL.

Oddly, my vanity is EXACTLY what kept me from improving.  I didn't think I was going to be mistaken for Brad Pitt but I also wasn't willing to admit how far I had fallen.  I was excusing myself from the reality of my situation.  Instead, I just kept telling myself that I "carry it well".  After I started CF, I looked myself in the mirror one day and admitted I was fat.  Soberly. Honestly.

I began describing myself as FAT on purpose.  It may not be politically correct, but since I'm talking about me, the PC people can stick it...   By admitting and be honest about being FAT, I removed the vanity and exposed my excuse.  I put it in my blog title, I use it to motivate others ("don't let the fat guy beat you"... right Kate?), and most of all, I tell myself I'm fat everyday... but not for too much longer.

My advice to you, if you are overweight and want to do something, then do this:  Go over to a mirror and look at yourself and admit you are fat.  Then make a decision to either (a) accept it or (b) do something about it.  For me, I will never judge someone that choose to stay the way they are.  If you are satisfied with your body then great... that is your choice alone.  Like any choice, there are downsides and upsides.  If you decide to do something about it, then you MUST accept No Excuses for it.

Finally, to indulge my vanity a little.  I've had more than one person tell me I look a little like Matt Damon.  No, I'm not ****ing Sarah Silverman.... but you be the judge if we look alike.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment